Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Bike Crash and Mid-Year Reflections

I had big plans for this week. But then a gal opened her car door into the bike lane, just as I was biking by.

I'm fine -- a little bruised and sore. I got back on my bike this morning and had a very uneventful ride to the office. But I've fallen behind on some of my goals for the week.

The experience has provided a good lesson for me. I have to remember what most people already know: I need to take a break now and then.

Sometimes, life forces us to take a few deep breaths, be thankful for what we have -- even for that giant purple bruise running down my right arm, since it could have been so, so much worse -- and take a minute or three to reassess.

And that's not bad advice for nonprofits, either. Midway through the year, is it time for you to take a step back and reassess your programmatic and fundraising goals? What have you accomplished so far? Are you on track, or are there areas you could improve? Have local, national or world events shaped your progress?

I'm going to put my feet up, take some Advil and consider my own achievements and goals. I'll be back next week, hopefully, healed, refreshed and brimming with new ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Post 'em here!