Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Dreaded Ask

I hate asking for favors. I don’t want to impose on others’ valuable time and effort, and I always feel a twinge (OK, maybe crushing sense of humiliation is more accurate) when someone says “no.”

Which is pretty ridiculous since I spend nearly every day asking strangers for money.

But I’d say I’m not alone in my dislike of asking people for favors. In fact, I’ve come across quite a few organizations that seem like they would rather pray for money to fall from the sky than to ask their donor base to give.

Here are a few of the excuses I’ve heard over the years:

“Our Members already pay an annual Membership fee…we can’t ask them for more!”

“We do send out a special holiday letter asking for support. Isn’t that enough?”

“Well, they get our magazine when they renew. Why would they give more if they don’t get anything else?”

I want to let you in on the secret that keeps me – and the most successful organizations – asking away: when you’re addressing your supporters (or a carefully selected group of people who could be your supporters), they already want to give you money.

Yep, they do. Just give them a reason.

You can put your ask in terms of a special project they’ll help fund. (Mounting a new exhibition? Hosting a major event? Ask your donors to help.) Launch a new campaign related to your mission. Remind your donors of all the things you do, day in and day out, all year long, that need their support. I work with a lot of activist organizations that use their special appeal programs to inform their supporters about current events and ask for help responding to them.

Above all, remind them what they get out of their commitment to you -- not just the tangibles, but their valuable contribution to the good work you do.

Oh, and thank them, in advance for their future gifts, and for their past generosity. Be gracious, be informative, be passionate.

Check out this article from Philanthropy.com for a take on asking from the donor’s perspective.

And then go ask. Your donors want to help. Really.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Post 'em here!