Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Appeal Week -- Crafting Your Lead

Now that you’ve chosen your theme, it’s time to think about how to craft a dynamite lead. It's one of the hardest things to do when you're writing anything, but in a fundraising letter, the lead can make or break the entire campaign.

I took a fiction writing class from writer Karen Karbo about ten years ago, and one thing really stuck with me. We were all working on fiction that we had started in the class, and after about three meetings of workshopping the pieces, she said something along the lines of (sorry for not having the exact quote, but it has been a decade), "You know, I always find that the beginning I start with usually needs to go somewhere in the middle. And somewhere in the middle of my first draft, I find my beginning."

That's how I approach most of my fundraising letters. Sure, sometimes the lead will just jump up and wave its hand in the air and shout "Pick Me! Pick Me!" But most of the time, you find it buried somewhere in the middle.

It's a tiny nugget of outrage...a moving personal story...a terrifyingly urgent problem...all couched in the most emotional language you can muster.

Get that problem right up front and show -- don't tell! -- why it's so urgent that we solve it. Spin a story about someone whose life was changed because of the issue you're trying to address...demand action from legislators...paint a picture of what will happen if nothing changes...hit your donors right in the gut.

I know, I know, nobody likes that whole "the sky is falling!" approach. But. It. Works.

When donors are moved, they give you money. And while you might feel more comfortable leading with something that's a little more informational, a little less sensational, the point is to stir donors up, ignite their passion for your work. Because a passionate donor is a donor who gives to your special appeals.

2 comments:

  1. Good advice! A college professor once told me that the beginning is sometimes in your very last paragrah. This was true so many times I eventually started giving the advice to my own Freshman Comp students years later. So in addition to looking in the middle, take a peek at the end, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tip, Amy! Thanks for your input.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Post 'em here!